Lord Miros and other animals

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Brighton Rock

I knew religion had its uses. It being some sort of Jesus festival this week, Lady Miros gets a 5-day weekend. This fits in rather nicely with my perpetual 7-day weekend, so to celebrate Our Saviour popping his clogs we're off to Brighton to... er... play poker. Hopefully I'll redeem myself from the last time I was there, when I played like a drunken schmuck.

I did have rather a good beat at one point though. During the 100 rebuy NLHE, I found myself in the BB facing a raise and a reraise. The reraise was from one Piers Whyman, against whom the Gent and I harbour some ingrained resentment. Staring down at a rather pretty-looking pair of tens, I came over the top all-in. Surprise surprise, they both called! AK v AA (Piers) v TT. Marv.

As I was in ridiculously good form, I somehow conjured up a diamond flush to scoop the lot. Uncharacteristically, I gave it a mighty 'ei ei!!' at the riverly diamond, while Piers sat brooding, nursing the handful of chips from the side pot. I'm not usually one for obnoxious rubdowns, but as I say I was drunk (and it was Piers). Two hands later Piers found himself all-in, and of course some eejit, hoping justice would prevail, piped up: "good luck Piers!" "Fuck Piers", I thought to myself, and then realised with no small sense of shame that I'd said it out loud. I got some strange looks after that one, especially as Piers doubled up.

Feeling a little contrite, and sitting with a veritable mountain of chips in front of me, I suggested to Piers that he and I swap 5%. I know poker is a mercenary game and gamblers are inevitably all bastards, but it seemed like a sportsmanlike thing to do. Piers of course snapped it up, in fact he was thanking me profusely. Perhaps he didn't hear me saying "fuck Piers". Anyway, I felt much better with myself after that.

A while later, I found myself check-raising the 2nd chip leader on a board of 6889 with 74. He called and flipped over 89. Doh. I mucked and told everyone I had 57 (nearly true). Before I could catch my breath I busted out with KQ v 99, and that was that. Lady Miros and I sloped off to watch Meet the Fockers (crap).

Obviously when I came in the next day, Piers came up to me with a big dopey grin, and thrust 200 quid in my face. Turns out he'd somehow parlayed his way to a chop - nice one Piers! I can't really remember why I disliked Piers in the first place (he's nearly as smug as Gryko, perhaps that explains it), but anyway, all is forgiven now.

I never knew being nice to people could be so rewarding. Spiritually, which is great, as well as financially, which is better. I really must try it more often.

1 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Andy_Ward said...

Ah Lord Miros !

I thought you said all bloggers were cunts. Or was that someone else.

I'm not sure being nice to people just to get good karma counts. You have to mean it. It's like deliberately not going on a killing spree just to get to heaven. It doesn't work. Doh.

Anyway your "fuck Piers" story really made me laugh. Careful with that in the US - you can get a 20 minute penalty in the land of the free for speaking your thoughts out loud. Especially YOUR thoughts, more like 40 now I think about it.

Andy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home